We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Meat and poultry
- Chicken soup
- Cream of chicken soup
A rich and flavoursome creamy chicken soup makes a fabulous lunch served with crispy bread. It is essential to use a really strong, homemade chicken stock for this recipe to give the soup a full flavour.
160 people made this
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 750ml (1 1/4 pt) chicken stock
- salt and ground black pepper
- 25g (1 oz) plain flour
- 150ml (1/4 pt) milk
- 175g (6 oz) cooked chicken
- 300ml (1/2 pt) single cream
- parsley leaves to garnish (optional)
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr
- Melt the butter in a large pan and cook the onions, potatoes, carrot and celery gently for 5 minutes. Do not allow the vegetables to brown.
- Add the stock and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Purée the soup in a food processor or blender until smooth and then return to the pan. Blend the flour with the milk and stir into the soup. Cook over a low heat, stirring, until the soup thickens.
- Meanwhile, chop the chicken finely. Add to the soup and heat through for 5 minutes. Add 4 to 5 tablespoons of the cream and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Serve in individual bowls topped with a swirl of the remaining cream and garnish with ground black pepper and parsley leaves.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(7)
Reviews in English (7)
A delicious smooth and filling soup. Just lovely!-10 Oct 2013
This recipe turned out better than I thought :-)-09 May 2014
trying it without the carrot as thats all i could taste but still loved it-24 Dec 2013
When I think of cream of chicken soup, I’m reminded of the Campbell’s condensed version my mom served us growing up. Loved it back then.
I even used it as a base in college for my mac and cheese dinners for an inexpensive culinary delight. As much as I enjoyed Campbell’s growing up, I think you will find this version a little different.
This is a great recipe to use up leftover roasted chicken that you may have in your refrigerator. Take the meat off the bones and use the carcass to make homemade chicken stock.
You can be elaborate and follow the recipe on the link or just boil the carcass for a quick and easy chicken stock that can be used in other recipes. I do this all the time especially when preparing risotto.
You can use this as a road map for making cream of chicken soup but don’t be shy from playing around with ingredients and come up with your own version. Change an herb, add another ingredient, have fun with it.
Homemade is where it’s at!
I’m so thankful that I took the time to learn how to make my own cream of chicken soup! This is the real deal! It’s super easy, absolutely delicious, and soooooo much better than anything you can buy in a can.
What is Cream of Chicken Soup made of?
Whenever possible I like to cook with plain old ingredients. While the convenience of mixes and canned sauces is nice, I feel better about feeding my family just real food whenever possible. (Go here for some of my reasons on all that.)
Making homemade cream of chicken soup is basically the epitome of this! What is more processed than canned cream soup?! Ha.
Check out the ingredients list:
- All Purpose flour or broth
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Cooked Chicken
Does Cream of Chicken Soup have dairy in it?
From the ingredients list, you can tell that there’s dairy in the form of butter and milk. However, if you want to make a dairy-free version, you can use oil for the butter and nut- or coconut-milk for the milk.
Obviously, you’ll have some flavor changes, depending on what substitutes you use, but the texture should be similar.
Cream of Chicken Soup Recipe
15-min homemade condensed cream of chicken soup recipe that is great for casseroles, stews, and soups.
- Author: Sharon Chen
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 1/2 cups 1 x
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups chicken broth or chicken bone broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
For the seasonings:
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth or chicken bone broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together milk and flour until the flour is dissolved.
- Slowly add milk and flour mixture into the boiling broth, whisking constantly to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add all seasonings and bring the mixture to a slow boil, continuously whisking. Let the mixture boil for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Use in a recipe immediately or store in an airtight jar and refrigerate for up to a week.
1. Feel free to experiment with the seasonings.
2. If you’d like your cream of chicken soup thicker, add more flour. The soup will thicken even more after cooled.
Save time, money, and lose the preservatives, by making this homemade cream of chicken soup mix! We call it SOS Mix – short for Sauce or Soup Mix. One recipe batch makes enough mix to replace 9 (10.5-ounce) cans of cream of chicken soup – and it’s gluten free and low carb. You will love having it on hand!
Making your own mixes is smart and fun! You are in control of the ingredients, which means you can make it healthier if you want to, and it saves time! The next time you want to make something from scratch, the ingredients are ready to go if you have a homemade mix on hand.
I use cream of chicken soup most often of the cream soups, so I just mix up a batch using instant chicken bouillon granules. However, you can use any flavor bouillon or stock you desire, like veggie, beef, etc.
Mix up the cream of chicken soup mix by hand or in a food processor. Then add the mixture to an airtight jar, canister, or zip-top bag and attach the directions. Store it in the pantry. Done!
Free Printable Label:
Here’s a free printable with how to make SOS Mix you can attach to your container. Hope you enjoy it! (Simply right click with your mouse to print.) Tape the label onto your container or tie it on with a cute twine!
If you want to reduce preservatives or other questionable ingredients, or go gluten-free or dairy-free, pay attention to the ingredients of the bouillon you use. Some brands are better than others! Or you can follow the alternate instructions below and use a homemade broth/stock in your homemade cream of chicken soup…
How to make homemade cream of chicken soup mix without bouillon:
Another option is to leave the bouillon out of the cream of chicken soup mix! When you make your mix into the sauce or soup, add 1/3 cup of mix and use 1-1/4 cups of homemade stock, any flavor, or use something like Better Than Bouillon, as directed.
That way you can flavor it with whatever works best with what you are making, for example, vegetable, fish, beef, chicken, or pork dishes. And you can avoid ingredients in bouillon, if you want to.
Ratings & Reviews
This was great easy, fast and tasted good. I did add extra noodle. It was so good.
2-Step Creamy Chicken & Pasta
My family loved it! My 30 month old and 15 month old ate 2 helpings! I will make it again!
2-Step Creamy Chicken & Pasta
I don't like like broccoli or cauliflower but I sure loved this. I will make it again.
2-Step Creamy Chicken & Pasta
Everybody loved this meal!
2-Step Creamy Chicken & Pasta
Great quick meal with things I normally keep in the kitchen!
By submitting, I agree to the terms and conditions.
Cream of Chicken Soup
Besides the fact that homemade cream of chicken soup is WAY healthier and tastier than store-bought, it’s also:
- Quick. This soup literally comes together in minutes.
- Easy. It’s such an easy recipe, and made with only a few simple REAL FOOD ingredients!
- Versatile. Use it in soups, stews, casseroles and more.
- Gluten-free friendly. Just swap the flour for gluten-free flour.
- Dairy-free friendly. Just swap the milk and butter for dairy-free options (like homemade almond milk or coconut milk).
- Freezer friendly. Freezes well, so you can make ahead for your monthly meal plans.
What is homemade cream of chicken soup made of?
- Chicken stock (here is my recipe for homemade chicken stock)
- Flour (all purpose or gluten free)
- Seasoning (salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder) OR seasoning salt
How do you make cream of chicken soup from scratch?
- Make a roux. Which means to combine melted butter with flour in a heavy bottomed stock pan.
- Cook for a minute to get rid of the raw flour taste.
- Add milk, chicken stock and seasonings. Whisk to incorporate flour into liquid. Bring to a boil and whisk well until the mixture is thick – anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes.
Use your soup from this point in any recipe, or freeze it for your make ahead meal plans.
What can I use as a substitute for cream of chicken soup?
If it happens that you cannot use cream of chicken soup, you can always substitute my cream of mushroom soup, or cream of celery soup. Of course, your recipe will be minus the chicken flavor of chicken broth, but my other homemade soup bases are also delicious and would work well in most recipes. Just remember that it will have a slightly different flavor profile.
Is there a difference between condensed soup and cream of chicken soup?
The word ‘condensed’ is used to mean a soup that is made with a minimal amount of liquid, and has a thick texture.
This recipe is rich and creamy, but isn’t really a ‘condensed’ soup like the canned version.
Can I make gluten free cream of chicken soup?
What recipes can I make with homemade cream of chicken soup?
- Soups & Stews.Slow Cooker Mexican Potato Soup – try using in lieu of chicken stock and heavy cream.
- Casseroles like Easy Green Bean Casserole.
- Pasta Bakes like my Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta Bake.
- Plus, this soup is delicious served as a light dinner with a salad and a slice of No-Knead Overnight Artisan Bread.
More Homemade Soup Recipes
Two Week Sample
Campbell’s Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipes
Without wasting time and more money, you can make it easy at home. As you know that people want to eat simple but delicious foods. So, it is like that, people can like it more and more. You can found it the entire recipe here and make it well. Just follow the entire article and make it with ease.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g / 3.5 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup / 75 g flour
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ small brown onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1/2 red capsicum/bell pepper
- 1 small celery stick
- 2 cups / 500 ml chicken stock/broth
- 3 cups / 750 ml milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp EACH garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, black pepper (“Spices”)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 2 slices white bread
- Olive oil spray
- Heat oil in a large pot. Then add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add carrots, celery, and capsicum, cook for 1 minute.
- Now add butter and melt. Add flour and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Also, add broth, mix flour and then add milk. Hence, mix to combine and then add salt, Spices, chicken, and peas.
- Bring to simmer, mixing occasionally to stop the bottom of the stick. Heat it, will thicken about 4 to 5 minutes. Don’t let it bubble.
- Adjust salt and pepper. Serve it with garnished croutons and fresh thyme if desired.
- Spray croutons generously with oil, sprinkle with salt.
- Then bake for 5 minutes at 180C/350F.
- All is done Campbell’s cream of chicken soup is ready at home.
Campbell’s Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipes: Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe
This creamy chicken soup is a great meal on a cold winter night. So, you can just add a salad and some hot crusty French bread. This also makes the first course for dinner. I like to make this when I have leftover baked chicken. Hence, you can make it any time you want. Because it is easy to make and very tasty to eat. The creamy chicken soup is the best dish in winter nights. Because you can enjoy it with your partner. Also, you can most enjoy it with your family members. It is made with healthy things. These healthy things have natural vitamins that are best for your health. They give you nourishment and good life.
So, you want to eat it more and more. Also, you want to make it in your own kitchen. Hence, you have required a recipe. So, you can use to make the creamy chicken with your hand. There is Campbell’s cream of chicken soup recipes also explained. But if you want to make creamy chicken soup, then you can easily make it with the following recipe. Here’s you have ingredients and full direction. So, you can learn it well and try to make with your hand.
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 ⁄4 cup celery
- 1 ⁄4 cup onion
- Garlic 1 Tsp
- 1 ⁄3cup all-purpose flour
- Milk 1 ⁄2cup
- 1 ⁄2 cup light cream
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1 ⁄4 tbsp white pepper
- Black pepper 1 ⁄4 tbsp
- 1 ⁄2 tbsp salt
- 1 ⁄8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan.
- Now add onion, celery, and garlic and sauté.
- Add flour mixing well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add milk, cream, and broth mixing well.
- Now reduce heat and stir in chicken and remaining seasonings.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Cook over low heat 2-3 minutes.
- All is done your creamy soup is ready to eat.
The creamy chicken soup is the best meal in winter nights. Hence, if you have not this meal and you have needed cream of chicken soup. Then you can make it easily at your home. Because the canned stuff cream is not good for your health. Hence, your homemade cream of chicken soup is the best food for your health. It has a lot of vitamins that naturally include in its ingredients. So, you just learn the entire recipe here and try to make it. Campbell’s cream of chicken soup recipes is explained in this article.
|4||leeks, white part only, finely chopped|
|1||celery stick, finely chopped|
|1||garlic clove, finely chopped|
|A large sprig||of tarragon|
|Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper|
|1||chicken breast, cooked|
|50-75ml||double cream, depending how rich you want it|
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
Growing up, all I knew of creamed soups is that they came from a red- and-white tin that, when opened, would yield a bouncy gelatinous goop that served as the glue that bound the casseroles we would take to church events. This soup is not one of those rather, it’s a lovely, comforting blend of aromatic vegetables, butter, egg yolks, cream, fresh herbs and chicken.
This soup makes little waste and, in a home where every penny counts, it’s rather nice to eke out every bit of flavor and nourishment from what you have available to you. So, use up the celery leaves and the carrot tops and you’ll find they give the soup a beautiful aromatic flavor that blends well with the soft and soothing flavor of chicken, cream, parsley and chives.